
I've grown very emotional about my blogging again. I have to admit, when my computer broke down I was relieved not to even think about blogging. I've always had a love/hate relationship with it. I can't tell you why exactly.
I'm a thinker.
I love to share what I think...usually.
That is half of it, and it's why I keep coming here.
Second half?
I love to converse.
I love to hear what other people think and to stir up conversation.
That is the half I don't really get here.
It would not be so bad if the blogging did not take a lot of my time and energy to do. Many of my deep contemplative blogs are the ones that take the most time and they are the ones that I'm sure are the most challenging for readers to read or even have the time to pay attention to.
I thrive on stirring up thoughts on things that most people don't take the time to think about. I love to have a weird angle on something or a different perspective. I love to stimulate original thought. It's part of my nature to want to do this in writing or in conversation in person. Blogging has never grown to be what I'd always hopped it would be this way. I've seen it get close a few times but quite frankly, I think my drive for it is too much for most people to keep up with. Or, they don't understand what I'm saying at all perhaps.
I go to other blogs I enjoy who write regularly and their feedback is so stimulating! They have conversing readers sharing congruent thoughts or opinions or disagreements or ....frankly, whatever the heck, but SOMETHING.
I've noticed a pattern on my blog. I have a meter and keep track of what goes on here. I don't have a problem with readers, I have a problem with participants. I can have up to 30 readers in a day if the subject matter strikes them as interesting enough and I can have no to one or two responders (and usually I can predict who they will be..and my love goes out to you, you know who you are).
Do you know what that is like?
It's like sitting in a room with 30 people and sharing something you took time and energy to prepare, perhaps even something that makes you vulnerable, and your crowd listens in complete silence. Then, they get up to leave, again in complete silence.
I almost can't stand that.
Would you not wonder? Would you not think to yourself...did I say something wrong? Am I weird? Do they think I'm a nut? Do they get what I'm saying?
Should I care this much? Probably not.
Do I?
Yes. Unfortunately.
Am I emotional about it?
Yes. Unfortunately.
I could be lectured very well right now, and don't I know it. "Alicia, don't worry about all that, just do what you like to do."
Yes, but see, part of what I like to do is hear what other people think too. I can't do that part myself and yet it's half of why I do this.
I understand, most people don't blog like I do. As a matter of fact, most women bloggers hit on the daily stuff. Last time I quit my blog I quit because I could not do that. I could not be just trivial. But this is not good either.
To stretch and strain to pull together contemplative blogging leaves me expectant for response. After all, I put my neck out a lot in my blogging.
I'm really not a self conscience person. However, from this end, it's near impossible not to assume all kinds of things in the silence. After all, if it conjured up a lot of thought in my head, should it not stimulate the same in others? I don't know. I really don't.
Yet, since half of my passion for this comes from conversing with others, I get easily frustrated with the silence. I don't know how it is that even though it's half of my fun of doing this, I seem to draw 95% silent types.
It's starting to make me wonder if I want to do it anymore. There is nothing worse than reaching in, working hard to gather, and pulling out your deepest thoughts only to throw them into silence. Honestly, I think I'd feel better looking at the site meter and seeing that NO ONE came by! But, to see that 15-30 people did and had NOTHING to say, I almost get sick to my stomach.
Am I strange. Yes, I'll give you that.
Am I grumpy about it right now. Yes.
Am I throwing a juvenile fit? Maybe.
You caught me in a moment that I don't care though.
I LOVE the Alcorn book club I meet with in person right now. I adore hearing other people's thoughts on deep things. I love hearing people have SOMETHING to say. It's so stimulating.
I'm not suited for speaking in a silent room. It's just not me.
So, this stage light may very well go out soon.
If not, I'll try to gather the strength to keep it going for the every day stuff cause that seems to be all people give a darn about anymore anyway.
Everything else will have to stay in my head or personal discussion groups where I don't feel so awkward sharing it anymore.
You know the saying "no comment"...it always connotes something.
I wish I could get over it.
It's probably totally lame of me.
I don't have the energy to prepare to speak to silence.
It's not worth it.









12 comments:
I love reading your blog, Alicia. I don't comment as often as I'd like as I have moments to sit down and read before I'm interrupted by the kids. I chew on it for the rest of the day and it somehow manages to bring out a conversation with me and my hubby before we go to bed. I think that I'll be back to comment and then time goes on, more posts are made... and you're right, the things you blog about are not things one can just glaze over and catch up on like daily blogs (although those are good when family isn't around daily) but it's stuff that could take hours to debate and discuss and dig through. I rarely get comments o mine either. Please don't be discouraged that comments are not coming... people still are. (-: And your thoughts do matter...
Alicia I tried to leave you a long comment not sure if you received it. I got an error message. Please let me know if you didn't. Thank you, MaryBeth
msmarybeth (at) gmail (dot) com
I enjoyed your fit. :) I'm afraid I am not nearly as deep a thinker as you, Alicia. Not that I don't like to read about other's deep thoughts though. And, I admit I like the daily trivial stuff like kids, vacations, decorating, etc. I hear you on wanting feedback from something you've invested in too. I think I've made maybe 2 posts ever that I felt that way about and honestly, it was draining and not worth it to me in the end. So, I stick to pictures and short commentary.
My head is is such a twisted place on this today that I had to laugh about the fact that after writing this honest post...I lost a follower.
Ha, ironic.
I kind of ditto what Katy wrote. I have such mixed feelings about blogging as well. It's hard to not get comments when you truly want to know what people think, and for me it's hard to leave comments when i haven't had to time think about it or barely have time to just read the post. I think it can be so time consuming that many people (myself included) tend to keep things trivial. If you have a loyal few who leave you regular comments, you could just consider that your dedicated reading group and think about only reaching them. Ultimately, blogging has to be what you want/need it to be. And if it's not, then maybe it's time for a change. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to keep going with my blog--because I post oh so often.
i so appreciate all the honesty. it's helping me sort it out. still don't know what direction to go in...
I hope you get a clear direction on what you should do. I enjoy reading your deep thought posts. I uderstand your where you are at. I am struggle myself about whether to continue to blog. I have recently just had less time to read blogs and to blog myself.
Alicia -
I agree with Amy B. Most of your "deep" posts would take too long for me to think about what I want to say and how to articulate it, and I'm always concerned that I won't communicate what I mean accurately. And at this point in my life, I just don't have that kind of time to devote to the blogosphere! I do enjoy reading your thoughts, though, and would love more updates on your family as well. I'm sorry this experience has been discouraging for you. Know that you are loved, and that your thoughts are enjoyed!
Trish,
Thanks, I always enjoy your blog and I would be very sad if you ended it. Yet, I understand. I think you and I have been doing this so long it's either time for revolution or quit. I was thinking though about what you said and I have some thought for you. I'm going to message you in a while on FB.
Joan,
Again, I appreciate the honest...I really do. It backs up some thoughts I've had that may come to light soon.
I think I'm spontaneously evolving in my life....
Plus, after I wrote this I had the most emotional day and am today to. I looked at the calendar, evidently I'm having a real three month come around PPMS. It's hitting me HARD. I've not had such bad harmones since all my problems months ago. I'm extremely sad and introspective. On the verge of tears a lot. So, even though all this is honest scrap coming to the surface I have to give my brain and body freedom to realize it's being chemically fueled.
I love you all.
There are changes coming though, I can't avoid that.
I had to laugh, I made my facebook comment last night to you before I read this post...
I totally understand your analogy of sitting in a room full of people and NO ONE saying ANYTHING. That makes ALOT of sense as to why you are feeling that way. An apology comes from me that I might likely be one of those silent people in a full room. I am not the first one to pipe up and share, I can be pretty self conscious about certain topics, topics that you hit on ALOT. I would likely only share back with you in a small room with few people, which the www is NOT. BUT please don't think that you aren't stirring thought and contemplation of different perspectives...I suspect that many of us just aren't of the personality to jump in on a large public scale and be as bold and brave as you.
Karen,
Well, thank you for that my dear, and I understand.
You know, that is what I've had to come to grips with and that it's okay. I have to visualize myself reflecting on a lonely beautiful place where no one is there. It's actually helping me search out my even deeper thoughts because if you visualize a whole room you may be inhibited even if you ARE brave. SO, this is good for me. :) I love ya and so appreiciate you sharing your thoughts. :)
Hey Alicia!
I hear what you're saying totally! I know I have felt that way often especially on the Bible Blog since that's a place people have specifically signed on to participate in. It takes me a lot of time to do those posts (as you know!) four times a week and when there are no commenters or no discussion, it feels like it was for nothing. But I know that's not true - especially on that particular blog, I know that I have benefited from writing it, and likely others have been blessed by reading it. Just because they haven't had the time, or taken the time to comment, doesn't mean they weren't impacted.
I do try to comment on people's blogs fairly regularly, but I know sometimes I barely have time to read the blogs I follow, nevermind think about the serious posts enough to have a coherent, thought-provoking response! Sometimes I feel like I've already spent too much time on other people's lives online and too little time on my own family's priorities.
Post a Comment