Okay here is a parenting quandary for you. The kids laugh, giggle, and "ew, gross!" at the cute little naked children fountain at my employer/friend's house. I tell them it's not gross because it's art. Cute little naked children is art! Then, Caedmon is drawing at home and draws a man naked from the back (way too well I might add) in the shower. I ask him not to draw that because it's inappropriate. He just thinks it's funny but obeys and moves on to cartoon characters in more decent dispositions.
Then, today it dawns on me. Isn't this a mixed message? It's a comical one, but one just the same. How can I tell them that naked statues are not gross because they are art and God made the human body beautiful and then not let them draw naked figures?
I DON'T KNOW! Some smarter parent than I will have to solve this one I guess. Logically it would seem bad to keep them from drawing what I'm referring to as art!
I told him when we walked away from the fountain that he needed to go to a good art museum and then as we walk to the car it also occurs to me that that may not be the best feeding of his imagination right now. I might get really challenged with some interesting "mommy look what I drew!" moments. Then of course there is always the next comment....
"I'm going to take this to show my teacher!"
HELP!










No comments:
Post a Comment