I've Moved...Go Here...

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

If God Is Good Session 1: Facing the Big Threat To Christianity


What is God's biggest goal toward humanity? To glorify himself by revealing himself to us, as well as fulfill our deepest need which he has placed within us. What is that need for? Himself. Therefore, his greatest goal is to give himself to us. If this is his greatest goal, then EVERYTHING he does will work toward that goal and NOTHING can thwart it. His goal is complete good, and yet we find ourselves looking upon many things in life that we seriously cannot call "good".

"If God is all good, then he would want to prevent evil and suffering. If he is all knowing, then he would know how to prevent it. If God is all powerful, then he is able to prevent it. And yet...a great deal of evil and suffering exist. Why?" (Randy Alcorn)


First of all, I want to point out that if you ponder evil and are in a place of troubled thinking regarding it, don't be discouraged by that. It's better that you ARE pondering it and asking real questions in your heart. Randy states that the fact that the bible brings up the problem of evil, invites us to do the same. He also states that as we are made in the image of God, we are thinking, caring people "wired to ask questions and seek answers". Remember too that if we seek God using his word, he promises that we will find Him. He will reveal Himself to us, and in fact, the elements we are troubled by are the very elements he knew would stir us and his desire is that we WOULD indeed find him.

If instead, what we hope to find is a smooth path of sunshine full of temporal benefit to us, then we will be sorely disappointed. In fact, we will be in complete despair. We will be aching for someone or something to just take the pain away that we find in life, for indeed, it is there and it is real and it DOES touch each one of us. The misconception that God intends to make our lives easy here on earth will set us up to be shattered when trouble and evil cross our paths. The fact that evil is THE problem with God makes it the "trump card" so to speak for those who argue against him, the battering ram that shatters the defenses of a misguided faith, but also the ultimate obstacle to overcome in order to secure true abiding faith in God for who He really is.

Randy says some amazing things about a misguided faith regarding evil and suffering:

"When people lose their faith because of suffering, it's usually a weak or nominal faith that doesn't account for or prepare them for evil and suffering. I believe that any faith not based on the truth needs to be lost. The sooner the better. If you base your faith on lack of affliction, your faith lives on the brink of extinction and will fall apart because of a frightening diagnosis or a shattering phone call. Token faith will not survive suffering, nor should it."

So, be encouraged if you are even shaking in your faith about God and evil. God wants to show you himself and give you a faith you never dreamed of before. If you have lost it entirely, go back to the word and seek truth because truth does reveal itself.

"Losing your faith may be God's gift to you. Only when you jettison undergrounded and untrue faith can you replace it with valid faith in the true God- faith that can pass, and even find strength in, the most formidable of life's tests."

This astounded me:

"But if personal suffering gives sufficient evidence that God doesn't exist, then surely I shouldn't wait until I suffer to conclude he's a myth. If my suffering would one day justify denying God, then I should deny him now in light of other people's suffering."

WOW. Surely we should not wait for our faith to be shaken before we sort these things out! We need to be ready, and we need to help others be ready with a perspective that stands up against this biggest problem of humanity and God. Especially our children.

The WONDERFUL thing about God is that when we ask, seek and knock, we are PROMISED to find Him. "Taste and see that the Lord is Good!" Yet, if we do not taste by feasting on His word and books like this that help us get a right perspective, we will starve our faith to death.

Randy goes on to define and differentiate evil and suffering. I will not attempt to give you everything in my posts. One, because I don't want to take away from his writing, it's excellent. If you are just reading here, you are TOTALLY missing out. If you cannot read the book now, make sure to later on but soon. Secondly, he is just so thorough that I could never attempt it all, and I don't want to. He defines primary and secondary evil which really help you understand evil in general better. He covered some world view responses to evil, refuting their premise. He discusses some arguments against God and evil and gives clear to understand responses. He states that a Christian world view will always and should always do what the scripture does and that is to magnify God and never to do what popular views of evil do and that is to minimize him.

Convictingly he states:

"IF we see God only in terms of his love, mercy and compassion, we will not envision the true God, but only an idol of our own imagination- and that is precisely what we see in the airbrushed God of various modern solutions to the problem of evil."

THAT is why this book intrigued me. I wanted to know my God for WHO HE WAS and not for what I thought he should be. The problem of evil and evil being permitted by him was MY biggest obstacle for responding to Him fully. I wanted to get to the bottom of understanding that. I knew I disagreed with some of the ways I saw God was doing things in his plan for humanity but I knew that I could not attempt to understand his thoughts. In essence I knew I was saying to him "I don't agree with you, but I'm 100% sure you are right." Is that possible to do? Yes, it's through trust and belief. It sounds a little better to say "I don't understand you but I'm sure you are right" but that did not go to the extent of my emotions. There are times I really don't agree. Still, turning TO him and not AWAY from him is the solution. When we turn away, we find despair or temporary pain relievers that disappoint in the end every time until we turn to another, continually distracting us from eternal truths.

"While traveling this long road, I found something surprising: the journey was not only rewarding, but fascinating, enlightening, and at times downright enjoyable. I know it sounds counterintuitive- shouldn't it depress someone to meditate on evil and suffering? In fact, I'd already seen enough evil and suffering to feel deeply troubled. What I needed was perspective. Instead of being disheartened, I'm encouraged. Above all in this process, I've seen Jesus."

Ahh, and that brings us back around. We come full circle to the great goal of God, the revelation of himself, for the glory of himself; for the joy of his people. Therefore, my theory on evil ( I say theory because I've not read the book yet:) is that evil is permitted for the express purpose of God being revealed completely. I think like all suffering, evil brings a further understanding of God's goodness. It is the dark that makes the dawn glorious. It could not come from him so He created the option for it so that it would be taken (the option that is) and create the contrast needed to reveal to his beloved, how lovely he truly is. In a way you could say he purposed to woo his bride to himself through the one element that would show her how excellent he is, the opposite of everything he truly is. If she could see that, she could see who he was better. She could understand why he allowed this revelation and she could love him like she never would have before.


"so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Eph 2:7


My post on Session 2 will be this weekend.


4 comments:

Tammy said...

Great post Mrs Oz. Those same quotes all jumped out at me too! Especially the part about the experience of evil/suffering destroying a weak faith.

I found it intriguing too that evil is defined as the absense of good, or the rebellion against God.

Here is my post on Week 1.
http://tammyisblessed.blogspot.com/2010/06/if-god-is-good-book-club-week-1.html

Tricia said...

Great post! I look forward to the discussion on Friday night. There is so much to discuss. From the first section of the book the three things that stood out to me the most were: (1) God wants us to know Him and seek Him. He knows that we need to see evil and feel helpless before we will turn to Him and seek Him (2) It is very important to understand theology and read the Bible. (3) We need to teach our children theology, because we will all suffer.

Randy does a great job explaining were evil comes from. Three things struck me the most in this area (1) that we are more than God's enemy when He sent his son to die on the cross we were evil (2) when we diminish how evil we actually are we are diminish the work that Christ did for us on the cross.(3) that the only good that is in us is because we are made in Christ's image.

Thank you so much for starting this reading program. I look forward to growing deeper in my faith and closer to you and all the women do this reading program.

Tricia said...

I did this long comment and went to entered it in and found out my son's google account was on and lost my whole comment. So I will summarize what I said. I am enjoying reading this book. Everything that you posted stood out to me. I ended that section understanding the importance of spending time in the Bible and sharing theology with my children.


In section two Understanding Evil come from three things stood out to me: (1) the only good in us is because we are made in God's likeness. (2) we diminish Jesus' work on the cross when we diminish our own sin. (3)we are the ones that both commit and suffer from evil. We have a sin nature.

So much more to go into, I look forward to Friday. Thank you so much for starting this reading program. I look forward to growing in my faith and growing closer to you and all the women doing this reading program.

Joy said...

This man is truly annointed by God to share truth. Thank you for reviewing and sharing this book. I'm going to look for it. I tell you I have so many good books to read right now. I just need to get off this computer and read them. ha.

This would be a good one to do in a discussion group.
♥ Joy

Related Posts with Thumbnails