I've Moved...Go Here...

Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Need Help!


Many of you know we painted the girls room a gorgeous (well, I think so) violet blue about two years ago or so. It's pretty close to the color in the bottom left corner of this:


My original inspiration was this magazine cover that I loved:


Here is what we ended up with in 07 (though it's a dark picture, the wall color is much brighter):With their white old french provincial furniture and lavender and white bedding it was beautiful. Now there are some changes taking place that are leading us from the Victorian shabby version of this to the bold tween version of it.

1. Princess has a college style loft bed now. Our goal was to eventually get them both on lofts so that they could have something like "their own room". Her loft has a built in huge desk and shelf and we have storage shelves and drawers under it for her stuff. Lilo will be getting one next (I'm crossing my fingers for a 50 dollar white one on Craigslist right now. The problem with loft beds is the bedding. You really don't want to have to have complicated bedding to make. The easiest way to do this is to have a bottom sheet, no top sheet, and a comforter with a duvet. That way you just wash the bottom sheet and the duvet. That is what I need help with.
The duvets need to match. They need to have a bold floral pattern that has bold Easter like colors in them. I don't really want to buy them, I would prefer to make them from sheet sets. Fabric is harder because you have to have seam lines since the fabric is not wide enough (unless someone can educate me on a trick I don't know). Here are some images to get your brain where mine is headed:

Zero in on the floral.

Think....gerber daisy....


I may need it to have some gold in it too.....

2. We picked up some clearance curtain panels at Walmart for 2 bucks! They were a great deal seeing that you got two panels for that price. I was thinking of putting a fabric flower at each segment at the top to dress them up a bit. They go to the floor so they are dramatic. One of my quandaries is whether I can go with the bold yellow or if I should die them. Any opinions? They look pretty good next to the violet blue but they do set the tone for some wild fabric bedding and accessories!

3. The girls are going into different modes of life. Well, especially Princess. How I want the room is fading into how THEY want the room. Magazine clippings, CD's, projects and Taylor Lautner posters (well, one, yes my daughter is a Twilight fan...so you can start shooting at me now :). Lilo, though not in this phase yet (in fact she has never been in the boy admiring phase, she is more into bugs still) has always preferred bold and crazy over subdued and girlie. So, it will work for both of them. I guess you could say the wall, and the fabrics are all I'm doing and then I'm letting them loose as long as it's neat!
It's a phase I thought would take a while to get to...but nope.
So, help me out! I need suggestions. Let me know if you see anything around or online too.








4 comments:

Judy said...

Hey there! Gold curtains with violet walls are rad! The whole bottom sheet and duvet is something I see lots of people doing. I even tried it, without success. Wrestling that duvet in and out of the comforter was arrgh! Are they twin-sized beds? And why do they need to match? What do you think about flowers for Princess and maybe geometric patterns for Lilo. In the same colors, of course. Just saying. Sheets are a great way to go making duvets though. I'll be on the look out for you.

Mrs.Oz said...

THanks Judy:)
With duvets, the trick is this: turn the duvet inside out. Reach your hands (or have someone help you for a full or queen or...yikes..king) inside the duvet till you get to the end corners. With your hands, grab the comforter, one had on each corner. Draw the comforter back inside the duvet letting the rest of the isideo ut part fall right side in over the comforter. It's easier with help. Some duvets have little fabric ties that you can secure the corners with too. I personally don't like these because they cause bubbles in the corners a bit.
You could be right, I may be able to just cordinate the colors only and let them pick a pattern. It's a good thoughts.
Thanks for keeping your eyes out for me, and I agree, I think the gold may turn out pretty cool. :)

Kristen Borland said...

fun, fun colors!! well, i don't have any awesome ideas. (sorry!!) but i do have to say i marveled about your comment of no top sheet for the loft bed. kind of an "aha!" moment for me. on our boys bunk beds, the slats the mattresses sit on (both top and bottom) make it impossible to keep a top sheet tucked in. (that and they wiggle around so much!) but they have to have something, especially nehemiah who still wears a pull-up to bed. so now i know a duvet is the answer... but i made their quilts, so i won't be changing them anytime soon. just an idea for when they outgrow the styles of their quilts.

Erin Claassen said...

Maybe check out Ross or TJ Maxx for sheets at a great price. Also, you might be able to find something at IKEA that matches that description. Good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails