Do your bananas talk to you? Mine do. They start by speaking softly and letting me know they are not prime enough for the kids lunchboxes unless I want them to come home uneaten and oozing from their skins after being rejected on site by my children. Then they start to say "time for some baking!". Eventually if my days are busy they end up yelling at me about how I should be more convicted not to waste and let them go beyond use entirely. Finally, I give in and usually that last moment of sparing them for some noble use, they are at peek baking perfection.Time for quick bread or muffins, but bread gets boring after a while and is not as portable for lunches or snacks. Still, my muffin history has not been a good one.
I love muffins but I don't like the way many recipes come out. Some are too wet and so the tops run, and some are too dry so they don't rise but become little bricks my kids won't eat. I tried this recipe and loved the way they came out. It was thick enough to allow for bigger muffins but not too thick to be dry.
I don't have whole wheat flour right now so I'm still needing to try it out with that but the white flour came out great.
Banana-Nut Bread (or Muffins)
- 1-1/4c. sugar
- 1/4 c. oil
- 1/2 c. butter
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 c. bananas, mashed (very over ripe is best)
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans (I used walnuts and chopped them pretty fine in my chopper)
- 1 t. vanilla extract
Blend sugar, oil and butter together; mix in eggs and bananas. Set aside. Combine four, salt and baking soda; add to wet mixture. Stir in nuts and vanilla; pour into greased and floured loaf pan (9"x 5") or into muffin cups (for big muffins fill 3/4 full). Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until knife comes clean.









1 comment:
I will have to try the recipe next time my banana are to the point no one will eat them. (which does not happen to often in my home.) I am on a muffin kick right now.
Post a Comment