
My BFF Trish at A Future and A Hope gave me a bloggie award a while back that I'm just now getting to. Thanks Trish. I'm supposed to share 10 honest things about myself. Scary.....


1. I don't like living my life by a book, besides the bible that is. The bible is the foundation on which our individual personalities, created like beautiful canvas artwork by God, should be based on. Though there are things to be gleaned by books that tell you how to do things or how to be, or how to react, many times there is more frustration involved in trying to become someone else. I read books when my eldest was a baby on how to raise a baby "God's Way", I read books as a young mom on how leaving your home tidy and wiped down every time you walk out the door was "godly", I've read books that say a godly husband should do this or that and a godly wife says this or that. I purged my library a year ago of such rubbish and started diving into the study of the word of God. I could almost hear the chains falling off!
(Isn't this sign funny!?)2. I'm a horrid speller and grammar person (my spell check even just corrected my spelling of "grammar" lol!). Thankfully Rick is great at both and helps me but sometimes he does not get a chance to check my blogs and when he does it's embarrassing some of the things that get on here that I don't notice. I'm making a blanket apology right now for my lack of talent in that area. I don't shine in that department at all!

3. I've officially decided I don't like Starbucks except for Fraps. So, I guess I'm a summer time Starbucks gal. The hot coffee blends are too sickening sweet for me now for some reason.

4. I still don't know how to set a table properly, and I never will. Frankly, I don't care much for "Miss Manners" type living. Just don't show me your food while you are talking and I'm content. The rest is just to prissy proper for me. Remember, there is a tomboy under this exterior still. I was the mom who tried to see how loud my soda could make me burp till Rick warned me that may not be a good idea in front of the kids. He had a very proper upbringing, but I happen to know, he likes that I'm not. I promise not to burp loudly except when it's just me and him and I can have a good little laugh. :)

5. I rarely mop my floor. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a mopped floor. It just seems to be one of the most frustrating thing to clean because it gets dirty again instantly. I seriously mop about once every three months unless there is company. That is kinda scary. When the kids were little I mopped more I promise.

6. Part of my wishes I lived in a big city like New York. Though I grew up in the country and I love it, especially the wide open sky and sunsets, I would love to live in a safe and quaint apartment in the city just up the road from a outdoor cafe. Something cute like in "You've Got Mail". I love the quaint old buildings with the long narrow windows and the "Sesame Street" type stairway entries. If I was rich it would be fun to have a little apartment in the city somewhere (not LA, but maybe SF) where Rick and I could get away. We would spend our days browsing through book stores, having tea or coffee, and walking the sidewalks in the neighborhoods. Living in the city with kids though is not part of my fantasy.

7. I'm a very relaxed Christian mom. We let our kids read Harry Potter and watch Pokemon. (It's not been easy though. Victoria has a Christian friend who told her "I'm not allowed to talk about Harry Potter" to which I think I will train my children to respond "really, are you allowed to talk about Gandalf?" To read my soap box on Christians and fiction go here) We let them listen to just about any kind of music and judge music song by song for what it talks about. When we hear a bad song we tell the kids why it's bad and we turn the station. We don't let them play certain stations in their room because this monitoring cannot happen there. We keep strong lines between fiction and non-ficiton and allow room for both in their lives. I let my 12 year old talk about how she thinks Taylor Lautner is so cute and am not intimidated by the natural changes in her thinking as she grows up. I've learned more and more to lighten up unless there is a good reason not to, and we do have our many things where the kids get a definite "No."

8. I love loud music. All kinds except hard rap. I will never grow up in this way if growing up means I no longer get my endorphins flowing through music! I'll be the old lady driving with loud music someday in a little red Cooper! Look out.

9. I don't like spending money on clothes. I seriously won't buy clothes unless they are from a clearance wrack (and usually less than five dollars) or the thrift store. I think clothing is one of the easiest and dummest ways to spend a fortune. I also don't believe in being too proper when it comes to how you dress. That is such a cultural thing anyway. My kids have been going to school with holes in their knees for a few months now. I'm finally going to patch them this week because they are making thier way all the way around to the edges but I don't have a problem with the look to a point. I also begged my husband not to tuck his shirt in all the time when we got married. I'm just not fashion stuffy. It's so restrictive to dress properly all the time. You can't get into life as much.

10. I am equal parts hermit and social butterfly. It causes a quandy for me constantly. This year I'm convicted to do more to reach out to people and not let my hermit side take over as much. When my hermit side takes over I shy away from really connecting with people and my social butterfly side wines about this very pathetically. This is the year of the social butterfly. The hermit has had a lot to ponder on the past few years. A lot to learn about, a lot to reach out and bravely do despite opinon both spoken and implied. The hermit has had reason to take over. It's a new year though and the butterfly is restless and confident that the hermits work was good but is settled now. She want's to fly, and smile more. You are now all convinced I'm bipolar for sure LOL!









6 comments:
Loved #5, Alicia. I'm with you there!
Mom O
great list. It was fun to read. I even learned something new about you. I never knew that one of your wishes is to live in New York.
Thanks for commenting mom! I'm glad you did. Are you sure you don't also like really loud music? LOL!
Trish,yeah, I don't talk about that one much:)
Hey Alicia! It's Amber J. Loved your list also. I am with your Mom on that #5, however, I got a Shark Steam Mop 2 yrs. ago and love it. My kids fight over who gets to mop the floor. And the best thing is, it is almost instantly dry, so you don't have to block off the kitchen. The first time I used it, I had 7 kids running through my house, and the kitchen is the main thoroughfare. Definitely worth putting on a wish list.
Amber! It's so good to hear from you! I love that you came by. I think of you often and wonder how you are.
That mop sounds amazing! I'll have to check into it.
I enjoyed your revelations. I need to do this. I'm having a problem with honesty I guess haha. So I haven't gotten around to this post. :) plus I've been gone for 2 weeks. Finally home.
I like your parenting style. I told mine if she wanted to read H.P. she could. So far she hasn't and my oldest loves country music.
But I an insisting my daughters do Cotillion. I never did and boy could I have used it.
♥ Joy
Post a Comment