
I threw the leftovers of the rotisserie chicken we had purchased the other day in the trash. I was feeling the need to clean out the fridge. Then, a pang came over my conscience and it said "TAKE IT OUT NOW AND BOIL THAT CARCASS!" So, thankfully because I threw it away in it's plastic dome container so pulling it back out a few seconds later meant it was fine. I had no plans for dinner anyway to so I boiled it, strained out the bits, pulled of the little bits of meat, seasoned the broth and added egg noodles. I made some simple grilled cheese and that was dinner tonight.
Once I did this I felt like I'd done a noble deed. I resolved that I should indeed take the challenge in January as much as I can to eat from the cupboard. Money Saving Mom blogs about it here.
I will be stocking up on some staples such as milk, butter, eggs, and some seasonings I've run out of over the holiday. From there I'll be working to make it stretch a month by spending as little as possible.
The one area this always becomes a problem in for me is with lunches for Rick and the kids. I'm determined to get creative and make this work.
I'll be starting by taking inventory over the next few days of what I have. Then, I'll be blogging here what it is that I have to work with and what I come up with to eat. Should be interesting. I won't compromise our health if we get too low on fruits or veggies, I will be shopping for those. The goal however is to use up what you have that needs using. My friend Trish brought me a bunch of stuff from a harvest basket she got that she could not use because unfortunately she is allergic to a lot of stuff. It has filled our cupboards with blessings and I need to use them up.
The biggest bane of this plan is that YOU HAVE TO PLAN, AND YOU HAVE TO COOK. So, this requires knowing where you are ahead of time. I don't always want to do that. I like an easy out now and then. This challenge will be good for me to think and plan, and yes, work in the kitchen more! LOL!
I'm always inspired from the memory of what my grandma told me of my great grandma's cooking during the depression. She had 9 children and she managed to feed them. She made either cornbread or biscuits at every meal. What a lot of work! Still, it takes work to make from what you have and that's what I need to do.
So, I'll keep you posted. Oh, and please, if you read what I've got, send me some ideas!
PS- I'm changing up the blog layout in the new year. This drop down menu is not working for me as I thought it would. I may loose a few links to your blogs for those I know personally....I'll get it all on track but it may take me a while.









3 comments:
great idea! I am going to clean out my cupboard today. I hope to feel better and be motivated, creative and make our food go further.
Very inspiring, thanks! Yes, it's the planning ahead that always gets me, but I LOVE the feeling once having done so. :-)
Hey I am doing this too only I didn't know about the challenge or that you were doing it. Great minds think alike right?
Here is an example of what we have had already. Someone gave us 16 ducks so I ground the meat and made sloppy joes with homemade buns and home fries. Today we had tomato soup (made from tomato juice) and grilled cheese. Tonight taco soup.
I really want to be able to go the rest of the month without going to the store. Except for some rare occasions (like our friends moving to wisconsin so i am bringing sweet potatoes for a potato bar). I will be excited to check in.
be sure that you link to FB and I will be more likely to check it. i very seldom update my blog and very seldom check it too for the updates. My grandma takes up so much time.
Post a Comment