I've Moved...Go Here...

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A New Adventure Of Trusting God

Monday I had to call 911. I was having an experience I've had before. Back in May I had this scary episode of light-headededness and my heart racing and thumping. I had just woken up and nothing stressful was going on. Still, at the ER they did tests and everything came back good. I was told I had probably had a panic attack. I was so frustrated with this because I did not agree. Turns out I was right.
On Monday I had been having a little lunch with Rick and Caed. I stood up to gather my things and got very dizzy. I started to feel like I was going to pass out. I sat back down and asked Rick to bring me some ice water. He was on a lunch break so I really needed to get feeling better to at least get home. After about five minutes I felt I could drive. All the way home (a ten minute drive) I was trying to relax and kept splashing ice water all over my face. I was scared to pass out while trying to get home. At home it got worse. I tried to lay down but became so uncomfortable and it became difficult to breathe. I called my mom and then got worried about Caed alone in the house if something happened to me. That pushed me to call 911.
I'll cut through a lot of drama here to get to the end. All the tests were fine in the ER, and I could have predicted that. They told me to follow up with my Dr. and Rick was able to get me an appointment the next morning. We left a little early for that as it started up again in the morning about 45 minutes before my appointment.
I have a wonderful Doctor, let me just say that. He was the first person to not look at me like I was nuts. He said I had PAT which stands for "Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia". Basically my heart will spontaneously decide to take off unexpectedly and beat extremely fast. IT is related to hormone cycles as well and triggered by caffeine, even a little. So, I'm off caffeine and I have to learn how to manage it if it happens again. My doctor was helpful in that and said that if the episodes are more frequent, which I PRAY they are not because they are so scary, then I can take a medicine when they help to slow down my heart racing. Next week I will be wearing a heart monitor for a week because if you are hooked up when this happens, they can catch it. I doubt it will occur again but I'm going to wear it anyway. There was a six month gap between this episode and the last one.
So, anyway, enough drama for a while for me. I'm very thankful for some answers.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

I like your new background. I hope you are feeling better today.

Joan said...

Yikes! I'm glad your doctor was able to help you. That sounds really scary. I've had some hormone-related heart issues, but my heart kind of "hiccups" and staggers around for a few seconds and then gets back to normal. I hope you get good results from your new, caffeine-free regimen! Hugs to you.

I am Katy, said...

How scary. I'm glad your doctor was able to tell you what it was and didn't just dismiss it as a "panic attack". Hug to you.

Amy B said...

Scary when our bodies don't work like we're used to them working! Glad to hear you are okay though! Keep us updated!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails