
Sometimes I feel that we get in these modes as believers where we know the ropes and the rules and we just want to keep pressing on as we know it instead of being challenged to learn new things. I don't fit well in those circles because I have AMAZING joy in learning crazy new things about God. Things that hurt my brain to talk and think about. Things that I've not heard discussed yet in Christian circles. Things that people like Lewis and Piper blow my brain with and challenge me that THERE IS EVEN MORE! OH HOW I LOVE THAT ABOUT GOD! In fact it is the very essence of my discussion here, the very seeking for these pleasures from God, desiring Him, wanting more. To be totally content in Him and yet desire more is the foundation of happiness in Him and from Him.
I want to ask some questions. I want to enter a theological gym of sorts and do some stretches and some painful muscle building. I invite you to enter with me, and to challenge me in any way. I invite discussion and humble hearts who long to banter about the issues of our very existence. Doesn't that sound exciting!? Well, it does to me and you came by my blog so ...here we go:)
What is happiness?
What is joy?
Are they the same?
Is happiness even important to Christians?
Does God long for us to be happy?
Does he long for us to be joyful?
What do they mean?
Is our happiness on God's priority list?
What does the world define as "happy"?
Is it wrong to want to be happy?
Is it a right or a God given desire?
How has sin tainted this desire like it has so many others?
These are the things I want to talk about. This will take a while, and yes, I'm a wife and mother of three children and I work a small job for 2 hours a day. So, I'm not in a hurry to get through this. I WILL get through it though because I feel it is vital to the Christian walk. I think it's something we are missing.
Want to know where to start to get going? Go to http://www.desiringgod.org/ and read about Christian Hedonism. Or, pick up the book "Desiring God" by John Piper.
What inspired this?
I read a lovely Christian woman state that "we think we deserve happiness" and "our happiness is not God's focus and it is not the meaning of life". Although I completely understand where she was coming from and the validity of her statements (and trust me, they ARE valid and true in the sense she intended them), my soul cringes when we say these things. The reason is not because she is wrong but because there is SO MUCH MORE that IS important on the issue of happiness and unfortunately we as Christians stop at this and don't go on into the rest of it. We get this, as stated above, and we get the concept of joy. Those spiritual muscles are stretched and built and we think we are done. We are not. In between there is a whole element that is glorious about God. It comes down to understanding what he has instilled in us when he made us. It comes down to understanding definitions and where they are wrong.
I tell you, I know God wants us to be happy and I think we have thrown the baby out with the bathwater when we shun this word entirely. I will talk about why and how. I will be bold enough to say that God's whole plan was and is for our happiness. Joy, yes, but even happiness. We have to be willing to erase cliche thoughts and go back to the drawing board of EVERYTHING having to do with why we are here and how He is redeeming us back to himself. Like said, it's a lot but believe me when I say, your joy will be made full if you journey with me. It will be embellished in a way you never knew. I'm not the most knowledgeable on these things though so I'm just hoping to inspire and get you started. Seek the word, we will here. Read Lewis, we will be quoting his thoughts for sure, and please, please read John Piper. God has given this man a great gift of deeper thinking into the scripture that continually challenges me and makes God bigger in my thinking than He ever was before.
I'll start you off with this poem to ponder. I look forward to the journey.
When God at first made man,
Having a glass of blessings standing by,
Let us (said he) pour on him all we can:
Let the world's riches, which dispersed lie,
Contract into a span.
So strength first made a way;
Then beauty flowed, then wisdom, honour, pleasure:
When almost all was out, God made a stay,
Perceiving that alone of all his treasure,
Rest in the bottom lay.
For if I should (said he)
Bestow this jewel also on my creature,
He would adore my gifts instead of me,
And rest in Nature, not the God of Nature:
So both should losers be.
Yet let him keep the rest,
But keep them with repining restlessness;
Let him be rich and weary, that at least,
If goodness lead him not, yet weariness
May toss him to my breast.
George Herbert









15 comments:
I have been a follower of Piper's blog for quite some time and have come across his "Christian hedonism" explanation a few times. We have his Don't Waste Your Life, which is in my reading queue, and I've got the audio version of Desiring God, but I just can't get into it in that format! (too old-fashioned for that!) Will just have to break down and just buy the book with actual pages!!
I think the term "happiness" is indeed tricky. It seems believers tend to get hung up on why and how it's obtained ~ the logistics of happiness ~ if you will. We've been taught that if we pursue happiness for the sake of happiness, then we're being selfish. So we have simply come to believe personal happiness isn't something we should even want, rather than trying to discern what it is about God and doing His will that will bring us true and lasting happiness and pursuing it.
I look forward to reading your thoughts on this subject.
You know me I am always up for a good mind stretch. I enjoyed "Don't Waste Your Life" by Piper and I enjoy his sermons. I look forward to reading your thoughts, discussing, and growing in my faith.
Great discussion! Our church did a whole series on Christian hedonism a few years ago. We watched Desiring God and Ben went through a men's study called The Blazing Center (both Piper). Absolutely God wants us to by joyful. But He wants us to find our joy in Him. Where else can we find that level of joy? I'm still learning how to find my joy in Him. I'm good at finding it in His blessings, but I desire to find it in His person too.
thanks ladies! VG..yes, sitting with the book is always better, plus you can mark it up if you want. Excited you are here. Blessed actually. BTW- Don't Waste Your Life is excellent also!
Trish- I knew you would be my fellow traveler! *wink*
Erin- did you read it too? I think it's cute that you kept using the word joy...no problem there...it's just that I think we as christians lean to that word. We should, but I'll tell you more later on why I think it's revealing.
I picture Christians doing this
"God wants me to be..hhhhh...aaaa...pppp...eeee". We can barely get it out.
That is why my next step will be to go right to the words themselves.
My favorite part of this is that I feel the Lord want's me to gleen something here in a big way. So, I'm just as curious about the findings as anyone else. I know there is something new to grasp and I've heard this tune before, now I want to learn the words.
let me give you a hint into part 2....
joy is without need.
when you are joyful you need for nothing and circumstances do not effect your delight and possession of God.
Now....
are desires needs?
but you don't need, you just said you are joyful!
Ah....
what shall we call our meeting of desire over and over and over?
hmmmmm...
what is it we are seeking?
should we be seeking if we are all ready joyful?
joy is attained, now what do you lack?
I do believe that God wants us to be happy, above the joy that we are to always have as Christians. Why would He bless us with experiences, people, material blessings, and so much more, that brings us happiness, if He didn't want us to be happy. I don't think there is anything wrong with being happy and the pursuit of happiness, as long as it's rooted in God's will. As long as we are looking for our happiness in Him. I don't think it's wrong to want material blessings either as long as it's not our primary focus.
I think the world has twisted the idea of happiness and so many people are looking for it in all the wrong places. I think that's where some Christians get the idea that happiness is bad, or that God doesn't want them to be happy. I've never heard the word hedonism before, so I cannot comment on that....I can just comment of what I feel of happiness and joy!
Please don't be upset about our comments elsewhere. I'm just as much out of the circle as you, and I enjoyed the "conversation" yesterday!
I use Joy instead of Happiness because I guess I just have this feeling that happiness is fleeting. Joy lasts. I think God wants us to have both.
kristilea, good thoughts, thanks for sharing.
Erin- you are so on to something. Love it.
I'm excited to move on all ready!:)
Oh, and Erin, I did not mean "cute" in the patronizing sense but that it brought a smile to my face knowing what thoughts are rolling around in my head.
On that note, I'm all ready excited that everyone is just thinking about this too. Good stuff.
I know I keep coming back here but I have to say that Erin hit a key point "happiness is fleeting"...Ah, HA! This is important. It makes it different from joy doesn't it!?
It shows more movement, coming and going.
More...later....
Hi Mrs. Oz! I'm looking forward to reading more of your thoughts. I think we all actually really agree but were having trouble getting our thinking out on paper, so to speak.
On a side note - would you be interested in guest posting on the Bible in a Year and Beyond blog? I would really appreciate it if you would consider it and let me know. And, either way, would you be willing to share your testimony with us? We have a few more ladies that will be sharing theirs (Friday, Jan 29th I believe) and I'd love it if you could get your thoughts down in time to share with us! Please email me at ntreimer at mts dot net.
Thanks!
Proverbs 15:13 A happy heart makes the face cheerful
I need to do some Piper reading it sounds like :)
I agree with Erin. I want to find my joy and happiness in him, not just in his blessings or in experiences. Happiness can be circumstantial, but joy can be there even in sorrow. But we can be happy also. God doesn't put a damper on happiness. But it is fleeting.
I get Piper's daily email, "Desiring God," and I really enjoy his writing and preaching. This is a great subject to ponder.
Tammy,
Thank you for coming by and I'm excited if anything to inspire sisters to dig in the Word and to read Piper. So, you made my day.
I will pray about your reqest. I know you are on a timeline. I will get back to you very soon hopefully.
Alyce, I'm so glad you came by. You are one of my favorite joyful people!
Alicia! I love your questions! What a wonderful topic and one that is so "taboo" in the Christian realm - happiness. So many times the word "blessed" in the Old and New testament means "supremely blessed, fortunate, HAPPY". The majority of the other times it means "to speak well of or admirable".
To say that God wants US to be happy is, I hate to say it but radical is today's church, is it not? Or why would there be a "soul cringe" when it's questioned? Suffering is okay even saintly but happy or carefree or not guilty? I looked up your reference to John Piper's Christian Hedonism. He quoted Psalm 16:11 (You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore)as his basis for his definition of Christian Hedonism saying it is defined as: "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him." I liked what you said about throwing off the cliches and really digging. Jesus is our "good inheritance" (sticking with J.P.'s Ps. 16 vs.6). Jesus says He gives freely to all who ask, He knows how to give good gifts, what the Father has given to Him-He gives to us, ask and we shall receive, your faith has made you well - He restores, He redeems, He brings to life, He changes, He knows fully, He rewards those who seek Him and rewards those who say yes to Him - why do we question if we are to be happy with a God like this? Ps. 103 says that part of our good inheritance IN JESUS is that all our sins are forgiven, all our diseases are healed, our life is redeemed from destruction, we're crowned with His loving kindness and tender mercies, He satisfies our mouth with good things so that our youth is renewed like the eagle's! When was the last time we really sat in His presence and received the fullness of His joy? Do we really know His joy? Mark 16:19 tells us that "after the Lord (Jesus) had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the RIGHT HAND of God" and according to Ps. 16:11, pleasures forevermore are at His right hand... meaning our Savior Jesus Christ is the right hand of the Father!
For so long, I was in a state of confusion about what a Christians walk is "suppose" to look like, what to do with the inner battle - am I forgiven now or do I need to wait until I FEEL like I'm forgiven to come back. I'm obviously not "glorifying God" when I feel condemned or guilty so that must mean I'm not satisfied so then I must not be happy or even close to joyful...
I'm not satisfied, therefore, God is not happy with me. I believe this is where most Christians live - not sure if God is mad at them or if He "loves them madly" (quoting a song I recently heard). The truth is in Jesus... I'm looking forward to discussing it with you all! XOXOX Amy
Amy, thanks for reading and for sharing. I think we are kindred spirits in the sense that we thirst for something deeper than religious jargon. I enjoyed what you had to say. I hope you stick with me through this. I think it will be great. A little bumpy and challenging but good.
I'm doing lot's of homework and it's like feasting at a banquet.
Post a Comment